Wednesday 4 March 2009

Supersize vs Superskinny


I saw a programme the other week on opposite radical health approaches, it showed a skinny female and an obese male. Both were on extreme diets leading to many health issues. I always assumed that people that were morbidly obese or extremely skinny chose to be that way, but having watched this programme I realised the in-depth issues that lie beneath these eating habits.

The connection between foods and emotion was not quite clear to me before this, its strange how unintentionally people acquire eating habits dependant on how they feel, or whats happening in their lives. Having said this, I suffered from an eating disorder at the age of 15, at 5 foot 5 i weighed 6 stones, which does not sound so bad i suppose, but I looked like a walking corpse. The ironic thing was even then I always thought I was fat!!!

I suppose for me the reason I had adapted such a diet was because...I was bullied at school about my appearance, I dreaded going into school everyday (shhhhhhh)...the fact that I was skinny protected me, they couldn't pick on me because of my weight, it was one less reason. As well as this, it was for me, I wanted to be so skinny that I couldn't go wrong, where on the off-day I could eat loads and still be skinny. Although I never felt skinny enough...

As well as this, waking up everyday to a magasine full of skinny celeb's cant help, women mostly must feel so pressured to compete with overly underweight celebs. Its exhausting...I should know!!

Newbridge-Health.org.uk/Anorexia

http://www.priorygroup.com/eatingdisorders/

2 comments:

  1. good read, and I agree that media does propose a big influence of women and there weight....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also watched the programme that you have mentioned, and found it very interesting, and also did see a different side to people with weight issues. People that are either skinny, or an obese choose that option to be like that, I did also think that to, but after watching that problem it made me realise that its not the people choose to be the way they are, its just that they cannot control themselves.

    ReplyDelete